Hearing that you need a tooth removed is never great news; however, sometimes it is the necessary treatment needed to protect your dental health. Your Houston dentist will only recommend a tooth extraction as a last resort in these types of situations:
- Advanced periodontal (gum) disease
- A tooth that has been cracked or fractured beyond repair
- Wisdom teeth
- Teeth that are too crowded and need to be removed for orthodontic treatment
- A tooth that is decayed into the nerve that a root canal is unable to save
Will My Tooth Extraction Hurt?
At Pure Dental Studio, patient comfort is one of our primary goals. Dr. Bharwani and Dr. Le will do everything they can to ensure that you are comfortable during your procedure and that you don’t feel a thing with excellent dental anesthetics.
We also offer nitrous oxide as an option for patients who feel anxious or fearful about their procedure. Nitrous can help you feel relaxed and at ease during treatment while also allowing you to recover quickly from its effects.
Do I Really Need My Wisdom Teeth Extracted?
In most cases, wisdom teeth (third molars) tend to cause problems, making it a better choice to remove them. Some of the concerns about wisdom teeth are:
- Crowding: There is often not enough space for wisdom teeth, and they may begin to crowd surrounding teeth.
- Cleanliness: Because of their location at the very back of your mouth, it can be hard to brush properly and floss wisdom teeth. If you can’t keep them clean, your risk of developing issues like tooth decay or gum disease increases.
- Placement: If your wisdom teeth arrive at odd angles and don’t come in straight, they could start to affect neighboring teeth negatively.
- Impaction: Wisdom teeth that are impacted or stuck beneath the gum line can result in an infection and should be removed.
If your third molars don't have any of these concerns, then it might be possible for you to keep them. Dr. Bharwani or Dr. Le will determine if removing them is the right choice for your situation, and we can guide you through the process at Pure Dental Studio.
Learn More About How Our Team Can Help You
We understand that it can be stressful and even scary to learn that you need a tooth extraction. However, our caring and friendly team will help you feel comfortable and at ease throughout the entire process. We are also here to help and answer questions if you should have them during your recovery process.
Don’t hesitate to give Pure Dental Studio a call if you need a tooth extraction in Houston, TX.